Tuesday, January 24, 2006


STEPPING OUTSIDE THE BOX



I'm torn tonight between writing what I intended or bitching about my allergies which are again out of control. Hmmm.....

The picture above - taken by my best friend - is too beautiful to sully with my bitching.

Last fall I decided that 2006 would be all about changing my environment and stepping outside the box. For years my financial and creative focus has been on financial survival, raising my sons, then on my relationship with my dearest friend, seeing him, etc. This year it's all about revamping, reenergizing my life, getting myself ready for the next phase of my life, whatever that will be. I'm someone who actually follows through on 'New Year's resolutions' (no matter when in the year I make 'em) so here's the start of my list for this year:

Repainting and redecorating my livingroom, diningroom, entrance and hallway, totally changing the look of the area. Check.
We're about two-thirds of the way through on that. Some retiling will be done later in the year to other areas of my home.

Putting more art and pictures on the walls. I grew up in a home where such things were considered clutter and it's taken me a while to break away from that and start finding my own way. It was never a conscious thing; it was just so ingrained in me that it never occurred to me to do things differently.
Check.
I've had some scenic pictures from my travels blown up and framed (one of which, taken on the west coast of Vancouver Island this past September, is above) to make me smile as I move around my home, plus I've got some Ansel Adams prints (I love black and white photos) being framed to be hung up on my newly painted walls.

Getting a massage. That's right, I've never had one before. (Never had a manicure or pedicure either.) Body issues, sexual abuse issues and just having FM - read: can hurt to be touched - among other things, have made me shy away until now. I don't like it when I don't do something simply out of fear so I've got an appointment booked for later in February.

Going to go on at least an intro flight in a glider/tow plane. Many years ago, in another life, I took lessons and soloed in an ultralight and I was a natural. But my favorite moment was during one lesson, towards the end of a summer's day with the sun going down over the fields and surrounding mountains, the instructor turned off the engine and we just glided on the air currents for a long time. No noise but wind and my own breath. It was magical. That's when I knew I wanted to try gliding. If I like it and can afford it, I may take lessons.

Going on an intro sailing day. I've never sailed and doubt I could really do it on a regular basis and I don't know if I'll even like it but I've become interested in the last year or two and figure it's time.

There's more, some more mundane, some about road trips to see friends, but enough here for now.

It should be an interesting year. :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger Karoli said...

awesome photo! Makes me wish I was there. :)

Can't wait to see the "adventure photos". When you step out of the box, you do it in a big way!!!!

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home