Saturday, November 18, 2006

Faith

We all need something to believe in, whether it's an all-powerful God or Christ or karma or being part of a greater universe or a trust in the goodness of others or in the 'what goes around, comes around' theory or the butterfly effect or whatever.

My older son and his new bride have great faith in their Christianity. And they practice their faith in their day to day lives, how they treat and help others and each other, how thoughtfully they consider the bible's teachings and various philosophies and theologies, how he has done mission work for extended periods of time in difficult places, and they both plan on doing more around the world.

My son's very black and white faith (yes, I know he's young) and my propensity for always seeing the grey has created some interesting debates between us. Some basic things in which I believe and how I raised him is totally contradicted by his faith. And he very sincerely prays for my soul and wishes I could find the happiness he has found. (We have many earnest and respectful discussions because I want to know and be close to my son and this is his life. One day I may, here, go further into the issues.) It has brought him a hard-won serenity and I am truly happy for him in that.

And I envy him that serenity. Because even though my faith was different than his, I have recently lost mine.

In what do you believe?

2 Comments:

Blogger Karianna said...

I am a Christian, but seldom "admit" it in typical polite conversation because of the myriad of stereotypes that go with it.

I pray every night, and sometimes several times during the day - whenever I need to just "chat it out with God."

But, my beliefs in what God "is" vary from what some might believe. As such, I am much more liberal that someone would believe a Christian to be.

I enjoy learning about other faiths, because I think at the core many of us believe in the same thing, whether or not it is part of an organized religion.

7:39 PM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

Thank you, Karianna, for sharing your thoughts with me. :-)

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home