Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Tree go bye-bye



I'm not always this fixated on inanimate objects but I really liked my tree this year. Every year when I put the Christmas decorations away, something will linger and settle in to stay. A figurine here. A jingle bell on a doorknob there. One year, I just know it, the whole dang tree will stay behind. I put some thought into making that happen this year. I didn't want it to stay where it was, but perhaps put away, intact, in a little used room where I could go sit and bask in its warm glow. Is that so wrong?

My younger son said, "You do realize that this just confirms you're psychotic, right, keeping a tree all year round?" I think he meant 'eccentric' but that's probably wishful thinking on my part.

Anyway, it just wasn't feasible so the decorating and the tree are tucked away for another year. Well, except for the pretty vases (not shown here; that's just a pic I like) with sparkly branches. Ahem.



On to other ramblings....

I'm someone who sometimes, but not necessarily, makes and keeps new year resolutions (but I also create and pursue goals/dreams all year long too). This year it's about traveling again and exercising - already begun - at least a little bit every day. If I want to travel, that means a lot of walking will be involved, exploring various new places. I haven't been totally inactive in 2006, but the purposeful exercising got less and less as the pain got worse and worse. This past month the pain has escalated to a ridiculous point. I'm sleeping pretty well, relatively speaking, but the pain is horrible. Makes me wish I took narcotics (I choose not to). Makes me wish a hot bath did the trick (tried that last night with no relief). Makes me wish the man in my life was actually HERE (he's away for the holidays) so I could have sex which is always a good distraction - as is laughter - at least for a while. Even the Rome commentaries (my younger son gave me the first season on dvd) isn't proving distracting enough. (My heart still belongs to Deadwood, another fresh and profane look at historical events, but I'm really enjoying Rome too. Want to see Carnivale one day too. I should just subscribe to HBO and be done with it.)

*grumble* Stoopid pain. Still, I'll take the physical pain, even when it's this bad, even when it hurts just to breathe or wear a bra or sit or lie down or have a shower, over psychological pain ANY day. MUCH easier to handle. And, aside from the pain and fatigue, my life is pretty damn good these days.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandmother used to move her tree to a closet in the "tv-less room" (that's a den type room that had a tv in the closet 'cause it was a small room and she didn't watch much tv. Everyone told her it should be a tv room, anyway. She would put the fully decorated tree in the closet after the holiday and just pull it out again in December. Just a little touch up was needed.

I don't think she spent much time enjoying her tree during the year, while it was in the closet, but my brother and I did. Every spring or summer when we would visit, we would open the TV-less room closet door all of the way, grab an extension cord and plug the lights in and just play under the tree.

Years later, she moved to a smaller tree and she would store it, fully decorated, in a huge, bright orange, trunk in her living room. Again, when we visited, we'd clear off the trunk and say hello to the tree - sometimes convincing her to pull it out and set it up just for a little while.

So you may be psychotic, but you're in good company. So there!

5:57 AM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

*giggle* Well, THAT's good to know.

Maybe I just have to wait for grandchildren and I can be the slightly eccentric but oh so charming grandma with a fully decorated tree tucked into a room.

Sounds like a plan. ;-)

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home