Saturday, April 07, 2007

Murder Mystery

A little over a week ago I was able to participate in one of those murder mystery dinner parties, in costume and in character. It wasn't one of those scripted ones so it could go in all sorts of directions depending on who you talked to, how you discovered and imparted info, what secrets you divulged, etc. In our case there were 19 people (I think) and boy! it turned out to be FUN!

Freeform Games was used, in particular their Curse of the Pharoah game. If you've ever been interested in these kinds of games, I highly recommend this company. My best friend and her husband put this on and it was an ENORMOUS amount of work, especially as it was a surprise party for her son who turned 19, and had to be kept hush-hush and she could only work on it when he wasn't at home. It included his friends and family and family friends, so the ages went from the teens to his grandparents' ages and was fun for all. Just about everyone, teens and adults alike, showed up in great costume and kept to their characters. My friend did a lot of decorating, they had food out, she and her husband, also in Egyptian costume, ran the show and did brilliantly.

In between trying to stay in character and pursue my character's personal goals, I couldn't stop giggling as I heard some of the things that came out of my mouth or the mouths of others. As a middle-aged rather severe looking Victorian-era Englishwoman archaeologist (whose fiance had been killed decades before and who had given a love child up for adoption after another torrid affair), I had four/five goals to pursue and about halfway through realized my character, once she'd achieved one personal goal and learned some new info about another issue, wouldn't bother with THOSE goals and I went off on my own tangent of pursuit. That's what made it fun; it could go in so many different directions. And it was nice to know that I could still think outside the box.

Everyone had secrets (quite a few spies from various countries too) and hidden agendas, including my son and daughter-in-law's characters. At one point my character discovered something nasty about my DIL's and so I spent some of the evening glaring at her until finally confronting her. *giggle* (Difficult to do because, back then, such confrontations were considered impolite, so it had to be done carefully.)

Another site my friend looked at which could be interesting is Merri Mysteries. Between the two companies, there are games for a variety of sized groups, ages, genders taking place in different areas and eras.

I know these have been around for a while and have become almost cliche but they're worth another look (at least these non-scripted ones) if you want something different.

It was a blast!

Technorati tags: Murder mystery game, Freeform Games, Merri Mysteries, Curse of the Pharoah

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always thought this would be fun and have somehow never gotten around to doing one. Maybe because I live way out in the country in a scuzzy neighborhood and I'm pretty sure no one would come, lol! Sounds like y'all had a wonderful time! I should make it happen, too!

Lost track of you when I moved my blog to my own domain. Off to add you to my blogroll so that can't happen again. I'd forgotten how much fun you are!

4:38 PM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

Thanks for stopping my, Skeet! Let me know how YOUR murder mystery night goes. (You just gotta do it now.)

9:59 PM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

Er.... stopping BY, not stopping MY. *lol*

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. You should try www.MyDarkSecret.com if you like those kinds of games!

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home