Friday, April 06, 2007

Buffyverse

I am a huge fan of Joss Whedon and all things in the Buffy universe. I watched the show when it originally aired with my then teenage sons and now own the dvds for all seven seasons. Like a favorite book one returns to like comfort food, I've watched each episode at least four times (one time was for the commentaries) and still get a lot of enjoyment out of them all and STILL can identify with some of the storylines even though I'm 46-yrs-old. (Hmmm.... maybe THAT's my problem.....) It's a smart, witty, often poignant show. And, unfortunately, little on network t.v. comes even close. I miss Joss' presence on the small screen because little on network t.v. comes even close, especially when it comes to dramas. You have to go to cable - Deadwood, Rome, Battlestar Galactica, Carnivale (with only Deadwood having the brilliant mix of humor, poignancy and great writing I long for) - to get the innovative quality I want, Lost, Heroes, Medium, and seasons past of Gilmore Girls notwithstanding. It was nice to see Joss directing an episode of The Office this season though.

Without even tryin' I can link just about every show back to Joss and Buffy, through writers or actors, directors or producers. And no, that's not something I share with just anyone. No need to scare any new friends off early. ;-) (Still haven't figured out a link to Rome, though. *grumble*)

(I also watched Angel - despite not being a big fan of the character - but only on the dvds; less good, more uneven but had some fine and funny moments. Aside from the Buffy world, it's Joss' Firefly and Serenity that really captured me. If you've never seen those, they're worth the rental fee or purchase; don't let the sci-fi crossed with a western label scare you away. It's just unfortunate Fox never allowed it to develop properly and it was canceled before its first season was finished. Having seen what Joss could do with a bunch of teenagers in Buffy, I can only weep at the lost potential of the characters on Firefly.)

Over the years, I rarely came across any other adults my age who liked the show. I came across a lot of sneers though. Or if not downright sneers, a roll of the eyes, a look askance doubting my IQ and sanity. It is, after all, a premise that is downright ridiculous - a cheerleader vampire slayer in Sunnydale, California. I mean, come on! And try and get them to watch it.... not a chance.

My best friend and her husband were among this crowd. She loves me but, since our tastes don't always jive, had ZERO interest in giving Buffy a try.

Well.

I loaned them Firefly and Serenity. They loved it.

I quietly reminded her that the same director did Buffy.

(I am so evil. *snicker*)

So now that their daughter is 16 and they're more comfortable with her watching the show, they've borrowed the series.

And they're all hooked. Muahahaha!!!

And I am content, having brought more over to the dark..... er.... Buffy side.

Technorati Tags: Buffy, Vampire Slayer, Firefly, Serenity, Angel, Deadwood, Carnivale, Joss Whedon

3 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

I loved Buffy and miss it a bunch...totally agree on Serenity and Firefly too...you're right, great stuff!

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buffy!!!!!! I've never seen Serenity and Firefly.

6:17 AM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

Good to see you, Lee!

Nice to hear from other fans. :-)

Hi Demose,

Be sure to watch all of Firefly before Serenity as the completes at least some of the stories in Firefly.

Come back and let us know how you liked 'em. :-)

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home