Saturday, January 06, 2007

Consumer Whore

That's ME!!!




A few months ago I had none of the above. I'd wanted a digital camera for a long time but had done fine without. And what did I need a cell phone for? I work from home and didn't go out much. As a music lover I thought the iPod was very cool but couldn't justify the expense considering that whole always home and no life thing.

Then a couple of months ago things were going well and I found a little Sony camera on sale and went for it. Woohoo!

The gods weren't impressed and suddenly I had things breaking down left and right.... hot water heater, various other things in the home requiring pricey repairs and then my car. Again. On a highway at midnight in the freezing rain. No cell phone. That was a fun walk home. *chuckle*

Everything got fixed including my car and I bought a cheap plan and cell phone. Finally. I'm out and about more these days and it was time. So now I had a digital camera and a cell phone, an embarassment of tech riches. (I got the phone for emergencies only and don't otherwise have it on but just realized there are a lot of places I usually phone that are not long distance with the cell; with my land line just about EVERYthing around me is long distance. So um, I may be getting a bigger plan.)

I looked at my finances and decided I'd really save in 2007 so I can afford a little car by the end of it. Totally doable. My parents had other ideas.

See that red thing everything's sitting on? That's my new car; got it just before Christmas. I like having a little car I can rely on. I like having a NEW car. I like having a car I can play cds in. I REALLY like having a red car. *lol* (My last one was white and it served me well but the colour bored the hell outta me.) Sure can't lose it in a parking lot. (Not that that's ever happened to me. Ahem.)

When I went to sign the papers for the car, the dealership was having a promotional deal for anyone buying a new car..... hence the 4 gig iPod Nano.

That's when I started laughing and haven't really stopped since. It's all too silly, really. Totally unexpected and I'm grateful for it all. I've had many blessings recently and all along, and, most meaningfully, not just of the commercial kind.

I have joined the forces of consumer whoredom. If I'd known how much fun it is, I'd have joined long ago.

Technorati Tags: Sony Cyber-shot, Telus, Samsung cell, Nissan Versa, iPod Nano


7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha! In 2006 I bought both a digital camera and an MP3 player (not an ipod though) although I have had a cell phone for several years. I also joined one of those dvds by mail rental places too. Maybe that will be next on your list? ;)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Karoli said...

Welcome to the Official Society of High Tech Gadget Whores.

With the red car, ou can become a charter member. :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

11:22 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

cool new toys...what a great way to start the year...:)

8:21 AM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

Thanks all! It sounds like I'm at least in good company. ;-)

And Sassymonkey, shhhhh! (But ya, that could be a next step if I ever had time to watch movies on dvd. During the regular tv season, I barely have time to watch the few shows I watch, and during the off season I'm hooked on various tv shows on dvd. But I'm never sayin' "never"; I think they're a good idea. :-)

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have cell service in Canada?

9:40 PM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

Hey there Jack. Gee, you sound really familiar. ;-)

Well, since Canucks did invent the telephone and the Blackberry... despite living in igloos and still using outdoor plumbing, we're ahead of things in the communication technology department.

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to disappoint, but that was not me!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home