Sunday, July 02, 2006

Pursuing that half full cup

Note re the previous meltdown.... any acting out I do doesn't include any mind-altering substances, drugs or otherwise. I never did drugs and rarely drink and if I drink it's not much. Hell, even when I WANT to get drunk I end up reacting so badly due to allergies or FM that I only manage a glass or two before giving up. *laugh*

Alllllllrighty then.

The thwap upside the head I gave myself seemed to have done the trick; I'm doing better.

So I thought I'd share some good things in my life as a reminder to myself that they're there; that they're always there, even on the darkest days.

  • My sons. Procrastinators? Yes. But still really great young men, both with kind hearts and great senses of humor.
  • Music. Yup, got it back in my life. Been listening to it constantly since yesterday evening. So far, to name just a few..... The Prayer Cycle album, Led Zeppelin, Norah Jones, Alicia Keyes, Nirvana, Paul Simon, some zydeco, Tracy Chapman, Eurythmics.
  • Sunny days with a nice breeze.
  • Good day yesterday with a friend checking out another beautiful area she's moving to. Country roads, gorgeous scenery and time with her.
  • My best friend and her family are leaving for a 4-week trip to Europe today. That sounds like it shouldn't be on this list because I am gonna miss her a lot, BUT I'm so dang happy for her and her family. It's taken years of saving, months and months of planning during a VERY stressful time for her. And it's all going to pay off. (She originally comes from Europe and has had opportunity to return now and then over the years, but this is a first time for her husband and their two teenaged kids. It's going to be fabulous and I can't wait to hear all about it.)
  • Friends, new and old, coworkers and otherwise. I'm very blessed.
  • There's a CHANCE that my sleep issues will improve. After half a year of no regular sleep meds for the sleep disorder that is part of FM, I finally gave in and we're trying a new med. I could handle the physical exhaustion but didn't like how emotionally vulnerable that exhaustion made me. So maybe this is a turning point. I'm experiencing some unpleasant side effects but will perservere for a couple of weeks hoping they'll go away and I'll start sleeping better. (Right now a GOOD night's sleep without additional help which I rarely resort to is 4 hours - usually in two separate two-hour stints - of sleep. If I could get to the point of having that on a regular basis, I'll be happy.)
  • My older son's fiance and her mother have invited me to go along with them when they go wedding dress shopping. I was VERY touched that they would include me in something that traditionally is a mother/daughter thing, and I tried to decline believing the gesture was enough, but nope, they seem to really want me. Not having any daughters of my own this may be my only chance and should be a good bonding experience for all.
  • Engagement party coming up this Friday. Casual, small, outside by a river and under trees. Lots to do for it but it should be fun.
  • I've got a nice home in a nice neighborhood and a job I love which allows me to keep that home (keeping it was a real struggle for many years).
  • I've come in to a small inheritance which has been specified to be used against my mortgage which is being renewed later this month. With interest rates going up and my income continuing to go down, this is good.
  • My son and his fiance finally have an official date: September 23rd! Woohoo!
  • The second season of Deadwood on dvd. I'm a sick girl for liking this show so much though the 2nd season isn't living up to the 1st so far.

Long list, huh? I'll keep reminding myself.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home