Saturday, May 27, 2006

For her

This is worth a second entry on the same night.

My older son (soon to be 24) and his girlfriend have been together for many years. They broke up for about a year a while back and I will admit to some reservations when they got back together again. But things were different this time. She was always a nice girl but now I am very sure that she shares his faith and love as profoundly as he feels them.

She's been coming over with him more often lately, allowing us to get to know each other on a deeper level. We've had fun and some reeeeeeeally good talks and she's opened up. Last Thursday she shared herself with me in a way she never had before, with tears, with joy, and I was very touched.

I just got a phone call and my son finally (I say 'finally' because he's been wanting to do this for a while now but the timing was never right) asked her to marry him tonight and she said YES! Poor girl got put on the phone with me while she was still in shock..... but a very happy, giddy shock.

I am delighted and VERY happy for both of them.

Do I still think they're young? Hell, yes. But I've known for a long time that they wanted to journey this life together and their love has gone through more bumps in the road than most and they have grown stronger in themselves and in their love for each other.

So, right now, I'm just plain happy for them.

Life goes on in wonderful ways.

4 Comments:

Blogger Vanda said...

Congratulations to your son and soon to be daughter in Law.

Welcome to the wonderful world of being a mother in law.

I have a truly wonderful relationship with my DIL. Even though my son and DIL are divorced we are still great frieds. When I came back home to live in ~England, I missed her so much. We talk every so often on the phone and it's like we saw each other yesterday.

When they got married I told her, listen I know I'll give you unwanted advise, so will a lot of people. Just smile and say thank you then do what you want LOL. It worked out great that way.

5:31 AM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

Vanda! I LOVE your advice to your DIL! I think I'm gonna use it. Thank you!

(I had a great relationship with my MIL despite my own rocky marriage so I understand how good such relationships can be and hope I'll be able to have that with the women in my sons' lives. But if not, that's okay too. It would be a nice bonus but as long as my sons and they are happy with each other, that's fine.)

And thank you for the hugs on the other entry. Hugs are alllllways appreciated. *hugzbackatcha*

10:02 AM  
Blogger Karoli said...

Congratulations to her and to you. It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful daughter in law relationship. I think Vanda's advice is right on -- I think I'll keep this in the bookmarks.

12:40 AM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

Thanks DnW! And yup, I already used Vanda's advice. She and my son were duly impressed. *grin*

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home