Monday, April 17, 2006

Life goes on

Nothing extraordinary happening, just busy with living. Still sad sometimes but not giving in to it.

My younger son's (he boards here, living downstairs with another tenant, a friend of his) girlfriend is finally moving out from her home into her own apartment. I'm very happy for her (she does not have the ideal home situation, she lived a while here and then she and my younger son shared a home for a while before finances sent them back to their respective homes). This will mean my younger son may actually be away from home some weekends. Nice for him, nice for me. We are VERY good at living our own lives, giving each other space and privacy and he's a great tenant, but it'll be good to have that little bit more privacy for each of us.

My tenant will be moving out this August. I let him know it's time for him to move on too. Right now I feel like I'm enabling him not really growing up. He's my younger son's best friend and has been, for the most part, a good tenant and part of the family.

Last week my car broke down, got it towed and fixed. Nice to be in a financial situation where that kind of unexpected mishap doesn't panic me anymore. There were quite a few years there when even an extra $5.00 was out of the question.

My best friend spent Thursday evening here, watching Survivor and talking and debating and having fun. It's never NOT fun with her, even when we both have bigger and sadder issues going on in our lives.

My older son is just finishing fixing his own house up as new tenants move in upstairs (he'll be living in the basement suite). His life has been a rather chaotic but exciting whirlwind for years now, the chaos leading to some financial setbacks but he's landing on his feet again (nothing defeats him). He hasn't had a chance to ask his girlfriend to marry him yet but soon..... she's got some university exams happening for the next week or two so perhaps after that. He wants to get married this year still and I think he's being a bit optimistic considering she wants a beach wedding here in B.C. which means it would have to be done before it gets too cold and wet, but if anyone can manage it, he can. He also wants to return to university while keeping his business running (exterior painting business that my younger son manages) AND, somewhere in there, thinks he'll find the money and the time to go on a mini-vacation with me (his idea, not mine).

It's pretty gratifying to know both my grown sons have full lives with friends and girlfriends and work and play but still actually enjoy spending time with me.

Speaking of which, we had a really good Easter. I invited, then uninvited (my mother wouldn't stop criticizing), then invited my parents again (only after the negativity stopped and I'd made it clear it wasn't acceptable). They came and behaved and enjoyed and I'm glad for that. My sons and their girlfriends helped me with the dinner (it was pretty labor-intensive and the FM pain continues to be a big issue for me) and we just really enjoyed each other's company. I'm very very pleased that the girlfriends are comfortable here. They all loved the chocolates and jelly beans I gave them. (First year I DIDN'T do an Easter Egg hunt. They may be grown but they kept insisting on me continuing the hunts and I finally said enough. They know all the dang hiding places in my house anyway. *laugh*)

And I got to dance a little bit again on Friday. I went out for lunch with a friend and as we were walking out a song came on that brought up happy/sad memories so he just started dancing with me, changing my memory of the song to a happy one that will always make me laugh now.

Concerns about some friends remain. The FM pain keeps me awake at night. Work is going okay as I start thinking of finally taking a week off.

C'est la vie. Really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home