Saturday, May 13, 2006

Mother's Day

Thoughts going in all directions this Mother's Day.

Thinking of a friend who's just lost her best/oldest friend who is a mother. Thinking of that friend's daughter and wondering how she'll get through this Mother's Day.

Thinking of Michael's mother.... a fragile but fiesty woman in her 80s who is facing this Mother's Day without her adored and adoring son. How they used to tease each other.

Thinking of my (ex) Mother-in-Law, the woman who really taught me how to love family unconditionally and who is no longer with us.

Thinking of my grandmother (who just died), my mother and myself. Dysfunction and secrets and cowardice and negativity handed down through the generations. My mother still lives with the ramifications. I work at leaving them behind while holding on to the positives that are also there. I'm grateful that my mother is still here, grateful for all the love she gave me. I never forget those and I strive to never miss an opportunity to be kind to her, while keeping healthy boundaries (and a sense of humor).

Given the above, I never expected my own sons to actually enjoy my company once they were grown. I wasn't worried about it, just thought it was a given. So I continue to be pleasantly and gratefully surprised that, while they each have very full lives of their own, complete with work, travel, friends, girlfriends, etc., they still seek me out. And we always have a lot of FUN just being together. (At least I think they do.;-)

I'm on vacation this coming week, taking time to play tourist in my area with different people.

So this Mother's Day and the day after I'll be with my sons, doing various things around town and I'll report on those after they're done.

In case you haven't guessed yet..... for now, from the perspective of loss and with my mother and sons in my life, the feeling that fills me is gratitude.

I'm a lucky woman this Mother's Day.

2 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Happy Mother's Day! enjoy your vacation, just tell me one thing, ummm how do you archive again??? No no, just kidding, I remember. Sort of. ;-) (and oh shoot, you're making me use my blogger name to post. I don't like my blogger name. I need to make a new blogger name just for blogs like yours!)

4:34 AM  
Blogger SwampHag said...

*LOL* You're a dingbat. ;-)

I hope you have a great Mother's Day!

(Have fun archiving. Muahahaha!)

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home